Monday, August 18, 2014

Transitioning from CrossFit to Bodybuilding


From November 2013 until July 2014 I focused on crossfit training to prepare for the 2014 Reebok Crossfit Games.  After returning from the games I immediately shifted gears to bodybuilding to prepare to qualify for the 2014 Yorton Cup World Bodybuilding Championship.  I started isolation movements. It felt good doing a complete arm isolation workout after 8 months.  My arms were sore as were my legs, chest, back... 

The challenge I face now is getting my muscle volume back up as I have kept muscle volume down and strength up.  With this sudden change to working out in hypertrophy mode, I have to also maintained positive nitrogen balance by eating protein every three hours.  This is the most challenging issue facing my contest prep.  I have grown accustom to eating a lot less regimented while doing crossfit.  For example, skipping my mid-morning snack, and eating larger meals later.  This won't work with my bodybuilding regiment because while getting muscle volume up I also have to at the same time lose fat.  I have to get extra lean as this is the standard in the shows that I plan to compete in.

I'm going to miss my medjoul dates and honey.  I trade those in for oats, brown rice and sweet potatoes.  The lower glycemic foods will keep my body in fat burning mode while still fueling my resistance workouts.

One common element to this eating pattern and previous regiment is whole, mostly unprocessed foods.  There is no getting around the fact that if you want to maximize physical and mental performance the best food is whole, unprocessed foods that are loaded with vitamins and minerals and plenty of fuel.

5 comments:

  1. As a side note, Will placed in top 4 in two world class competitions in 2013. He placed 4th in the 2013 Reebok Crossfit Games 50-54 Age Division) and 3rd in the IFPA Yorton World Bodybuilding Championships (open division - competitors of all ages)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! But I want to know more, keep the articles coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and very impressive effects of your hard work! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! But I want to know more, keep the articles coming. Herbal Supplements

    ReplyDelete