Thursday, August 28, 2014

Control Inflammation with Food


Choices!
When I was 34 years old I visited my doctor for a check up.  I had always been active and relatively fit, so I expected everything to check out just fine as usual.  This check up was different; my blood pressure was high as was my cholesterol.  WHAT?!  I did physical labor all day (I was a landscaper at the time). 


What I didn't realize was that just because I looked relatively fit outwardly, I had symptoms of joint pain.  I explained the joint pain by thinking, "well, I've been involved in sports my whole life, and now I lift trees and boulders every day for a living, I've just worn my body out".  As I began to research these two diseases, I found out that much of what I was experiencing was due to inflammation caused by the foods I was consuming. 

I found that certain foods, such as processed, sugary foods, could cause me to feel achy and stiff, also causing inflammation in my veins and arteries.  At that time I started to clean up my diet.  I was able to avoid taking blood pressure medication and cholesterol medication which made me extremely happy.  I knew of the side effects associated with the drugs, and I didn't want to endure those.

But this didn't completely resonate until I started to compete as a natural bodybuilder at the age of 40.  What I noticed was that when I conformed strictly to a bodybuilding eating style, eating only healthy, whole, unprocessed foods I felt almost no joint pain (even where old sports injuries plagued me).  Not only did I feel better physically, but my blood pressure and cholesterol were at their lowest points ever.

Overjoyed, I took this way of eating as a lifestyle.  At this point, 20 years later, after my doctor suggested that I would need medciation for blood pressure and cholesterol, I still do not need it.

You see, I have CHOSEN to let my food be my medication!

Choices!






2 comments:

  1. Will, only recently when I changed my diet to a more bodybuilding-esq diet did I really start feeling the joint pain, etc. I wonder if you might list what foods, additives, and whatnot would be best to avoid. On the other hand, what foods are best to eat. I'm 36 now and want to continue bodybuilding for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damian, it is hard to tell without seeing what you are eating. I get most of my nutrition from whole, fresh foods. I take very few supplements - 100% egg protein, 100% Creatine, and L-Arginine. I avoid food that cause inflammation such as farm raised fish and artificial sweeteners. If you would like to set up a consultation I would be glad to discuss this with you in detail

    ReplyDelete