Thursday, August 7, 2014

Take Advantage of YOUR Opportunity

2014 Reebok Crossfit Games
"Fittest on Earth"
50-54 Year Old Division

The dust has now settled a bit after competing the 2014 Reebok Crossfit Games in Carson, California.  I still have that feeling of elation from being crowned the "Fittest on Earth" in my age group, 50-54!  I am very thankful that God not only equipped me with the physical ability to accomplish this feat, but also for the discipline and determination I learned from reading his word in the Bible.  I am also thankful for the people He has put in my life to assist me along the way.  I am thankful for my parents who raised me and my siblings with grounded values and a strong work ethic.  None more important than my dear wife, Terry, of nearly 30 years.  She has been an awesome support and help mate.

Looking back at my life and my athletic career in general, I am amazed at what I have been able to accomplish  I never felt that I had the tools physically to be an elite athlete or outstanding at anything.  I now see that I am very accomplished at many things.  On reflection, it appears that the success has come more from things learned and applied than from some special physical prowess or heightened level of cognitive function.  To the contrary, I feel like I have taken advantage of equipment, both physical and mental and by a learning process to maximize my potential.  Nothing has been magical or special.  No, it has been a classic case of making the most of what you have.  This is an awesome feeling; the feeling of using your talents to their best, and in the process inspiring others to do the same. 

After all is said and done, it comes down to leaving no opportunity untapped, leaving nothing on the table so to speak.  In my estimate that is what true success is.  Not what you could have accomplished given someone else's opportunity, but what you make of the opportunity provided to you.  With that said, I encourage everyone to look for YOUR opportunities and learn how to maximize them and apply ample energy to make them pay off for you and the people that you can inspire to do the same. 

May God bless you with many opportunities,  

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment